Cortana should...

We need a way to add phonetic spellings for contacts. How my fiancee spells her name and how it's pronounced confuse Cortana.

We need a way to add phonetic spellings for contacts. How my fiancée spells her name and how it's pronounced confuse Cortana.

74 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Andrew shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Aaron commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Has there been any upset on this issue?
    I found a field in the contacts where you can define phonetic spelling first and last name. cortana does not seem to use this either

• Swapnil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also agree. This is the only shortcoming of cortana I am feeling while using the service right now.

• John commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I totally agree. My name is easy to correct when using Cortana as I own the phone. However, my wifes' name does not have any sort of phonetic or validation as to how her last name is said. (**Her last name is the same as mine, but Cortana didn't apply my pronuncication across all similar spellings in my address book). How can we fix this??

• Craig commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree here. I was just about to create this same request when I saw this one was already created. A field in the contact details where one could input a phonetic spelling would be great, then when Cortana wants to pronounce a name it can check the phonetic spelling field and use that to pronounce the name. If the field is left blank then Cortana will just use the display name that's already there for that contact. This would allow people to set phonetic names if they wish, and not have to have contacts with misspelled names just so Cortana can pronounce them.

Feedback and Knowledge Base